Imam Taqi ud-Din `Abdul Ghani ibn Abdul Wahid Al-Maqdisi (d. 600 AH) mentioned the following:
A Word about Az-Zubair ibn Al-`Awwam
He is Abu `Abdullah Az-Zubair ibn Al-`Awwam ibn Khuwailid ibn Asad ibn `Abdul `Uzza ibn Qusai ibn Kilab. His lineage and that of the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, meet at the point of Qusai ibn Kilab and the point of contact is at the fifth link.
The mother of Az-Zubair was Safiyyah bint `Abdul Muttalib, the paternal aunt of the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. She became Muslim and made the Hijrah to Ethiopia, then to Al-Madinah and also prayed facing the two Qiblahs.
Az-Zubair ibn Al-`Awwam was the first one to have unsheathed a sword in the Cause of Allah. He is also known as the Hawari of the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. The children of Az-Zubair ibn Al-`Awwam are the following:
1) `Abdullah. He was the first child born after the Hijrah to Muslims in Al-Madinah.
2) Al-Mundhir, 3) `Urwah, 4) `Asim, 5) Al-Muhajir, 6) Khadijah Al-Kubra, 7) Umm ul-Hasan, 8) `A’ishah. Their mother was Asma’ bint Abi Bakr As-Siddiq, the eldest daughter of Abu Bakr.
9) Khalid, 10) `Amr, 11) Habibah, 12) Sawdah and 13) Hind. The mother of these children was Umm Khalid bint Khalid ibn Sa`id ibn Al-`As.
14) Mus`ab, 15) Hamzah, 16) Ramlah. The mother of these was Ar-Ribab bint Anif of the Kalbi tribe.
17) `Ubaidah, 18) Ja`far and 19) Hafsah. Their mother was Zainab bint Bishr from the Banu Qais ibn Tha`labah.
20) Zainab bint Az-Zubair. Her mother was Umm Kulthum bint `Uqbah ibn Abi Mu`ait.
21) Khadijah As-Sughra. Her mother was Al-Jallal bint Qais from the Banu Asad ibn Khuzaimah.
The number of children were 21 in number, both men and women. Az-Zubair ibn Al-`Awwam was killed on the Day of the Camel in the year 36 AH at the age of 60 years or 66 years of age.
 Mukhtasar Sirat ir-Rasul, pp. 205-227